This is a rough timeline for your Ventura bankruptcy. Your case will almost certainly be different, because there are so many variables involved.
To get a more definitive timeline, call or email Ventura & Santa Clarita Bankruptcy Lawyer Eric Ridley for your free initial consultation.
Free Initial Consultation
- Come in for a Free Initial Consultation, or I will come meet you
- Sign a contract with Ventura Bankruptcy Attorney Eric Ridley
- Yes, I can work out a payment plan with you!
One Week After Your Free Consultation – You Submit Paperwork and Complete Court-Mandated Credit Counseling
- Your credit counseling can be done on the phone or online. No need to go to a classroom, and you can take the 1-hour class at your convenience, 24/7. The course provider will automatically email me your Certificate of Completion instantly once you complete the Credit Counseling course.
- All of your initial paperwork will be done online. We use a state-of-the art, confidential, secure online system for you to input your financial data, privately, from your home, at your convenience.
- You begin telling all the creditors who are harassing you, to call my office instead. I will handle all their calls from now on.
Two Weeks After Your Free Bankruptcy Consultation – I Finalize Your Paperwork
- I personally prepare your paperwork and work with you to answer any additional questions you might have. I never charge for talking on the phone with you or answering your emails; I want to be 100% certain that all of your questions are answered.
- I will email, fax or mail you your final forms to sign.
- Once I file your petition with the Bankruptcy Court, all your creditors will immediately stop calling you. You let me know if any calls come in. If they are persistent violators, I will file a motion to make them stop, and often we can ask the Court to make your creditors pay fines to you for breaking this important rule.
Two weeks and Two days After Your Free Bankruptcy Consultation – I File Your Bankruptcy Petition
- Ventura Bankruptcy Attorney Eric Ridley files your bankruptcy with the court.
Two Weeks and Four Days After Your Free Bankruptcy Consultation – Complete Mandatory Financial Management Course
- Yes, another course! This one is also required by the Bankruptcy Court. After I file your bankruptcy petition, you go back online or on the phone and complete another brief course, from the privacy of your home. The course provider will instantly email me your certificate of completion.
Approximately 30 Days After Filing – You and I Attend Your Creditors’ Meeting
- This is very likely to be the only time during your entire Chapter 7 Bankruptcy process when you will be required to make an appearance. The Meeting of Creditors is often referred to as your “341 Meeting.” I will probably refer to it that way as well. It is a VERY simple and informal process, held at the Trustee’s office or a conference room, NOT the Court, in which the Trustee will ask you 5 to 10 simple questions about your finances, ask you to show your Social Security card and another form of identification, and then you will be done. Your part of the meeting will last no longer than 5 minutes, and you will be represented by me or my associate the entire time. My clients usually comment to me about how painless their 341 meeting was.
Approximately 90 Days After Filing Your Bankruptcy Petition – Your Bankruptcy is Completed.
- The Court will send you (and me) a copy of your discharge and Final Decree, and you are free! Your debts have been discharged through Bankruptcy, and you can begin again.
Your Fresh Financial Start Begins Now
Please, call or email me with any questions you have. I know that bankruptcy is a scary process, and I will take all the time I need to, in order to make certain that bankruptcy is the most appropriate solution to your problems, and to make sure you are 100% comfortable with the process. I never, ever, pressure clients into a decision which is bad for them, or which they are uncomfortable about.